What is the difference between psychologist and psychiatrist ?
Are they somewhat similar? or are they different and what is the difference?
Let’s do a comparison.
First, we have to understand what is psychology and psychiatry.
Let’s understand definitions first. There are many definitions but let us go through a couple of them.
General word psychology means the mental characteristics or attitude of a person or group.
Definition of psychology
The scientific study of the human mind and its functions, especially those affecting behaviour in a given context.
The science dealing with mental phenomena and processes.
Definition of psychiatryThe study and treatment of mental illness, emotional disturbance, and abnormal behaviour.
Psychiatry is the branch of medicine focused on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental,
emotional and behavioural disorders.
Who is psychologist
A psychologist is a specialised health professional who treats mental health problems and human behaviour.
A psychologist studies emotional and cognitive behaviour, mental state and social behaviour by observing, studying results and keeping a record of individuals in relation to personal scale or environment.
A psychologist is one who observes and studies how people interact and use tools in their environment.
Who is psychiatrist
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in mental health.
Psychiatrists are qualified to diagnose and cure both type of psychological problems, mental and physical.
A psychiatrist is specialised in the preventing, diagnosis, and treating mental illness, addictions and emotional disorders.
Education of psychologist:
Psychologists study graduation after that they do an internship or do a PhD or PsyD(Dr of psychology).
Education of psychiatrist:
Psychiatrist study MD degree.
What psychologist do?
- They gather information through doing interviews, surveys, tests, conduction observations and various other methods.
- They design and conduct specific scientific studies to study behaviour and how the brain functions to find patterns which can help in understanding or predicting behaviour.
- Psychologists help people increase their level of understanding with individuals, family or groups.
- They design and develop programs for specific scenarios in schools or organization to solve psychological issues.
- Work with individual people, couples or with families to get rid of friction by helping to make changes in behaviour.
- Psychologists identify mental, behavioural problems or emotional disorders.
- They develop treatments for individuals scenarios and carry them.
- Psychologists also work with social workers to treat people and assist physicians.
What psychiatrist does?
- Psychiatrists are licensed, physicians.
- Psychiatrists diagnose mental, behavioural or emotional problems and it’s relation to physical health.
- They follow the medical model for treatment and prescribe medicines.
What are other differences between psychologist and psychiatrist?
Psychologists are trained in psychological test administration, scoring, interpretation, and reporting.
Psychologists are not doctors.
They diagnose problems by tracking living patterns such as sleep, eating patterns and thought patterns.
Psychiatrists are not trained in psychological testing.
They are doctors and licenced in giving prescribed medicines
They are not trained in creating and conducting psychological tests
Psychiatrist takes help of medical science by looking at biology and neurochemistry to diagnose.
psychiatrists do physical examinations to find symptoms for diagnosis.
Type of psychologists:
Type of psychiatrists:
Child and adolescent
Sources of definitions